Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information TrueNorth may collect and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- When you fill out a Contact Us form, you may be asked to provide your first name, last name, email address, phone number and the reason for your inquiry.
- In certain jurisdictions, we may ask for a government issued ID in limited circumstances including when setting up a wireless account and activating your device, for the purpose of extending commercial credit, managing reservations, or as required by law.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on TrueNorth’s latest product announcements, educational collateral, software updates, upcoming events and corporate developments. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt-out anytime by updating your preferences.
- We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes. We may also use your personal information for account and network security purposes, including in order to protect our services for the benefit of all our users. We limit our uses of data for anti-fraud purposes to those which are strictly necessary and within our assessed legitimate interests to protect our customers and our services.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with TrueNorth, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve TrueNorth’s products, services, and customer communications.
- If you apply for a position at TrueNorth or we receive your information in connection with a potential role at TrueNorth, we may use your information to evaluate your candidacy and to contact you. If you are a candidate, you will receive more information about how TrueNorth handles candidate personal information at the time of application.
Source of your personal information where they are not collected from you
We may have received your personal information from other sources or if you to participate in TrueNorth services, blogs or forums. We may also validate the information provided by you when creating a TrueNorth ID with a third party for security and fraud prevention purposes.
If you are a potential candidate for employment with TrueNorth, we may have received your personal information from third parties such as recruiters or external websites. We will use the personal information we receive to contact you about a potential opportunity or in evaluating your candidacy. If you did not provide us your personal information directly, we will inform you of the source when we first contact you regarding your candidacy. For research and development purposes, we may use datasets such as those that contain images, voices or other data that could be associated with an identifiable person. When acquiring such datasets, we do so in accordance with applicable law in the jurisdiction in which the dataset is hosted. When using such datasets for research and development, we do not attempt to re-identify individuals who may appear therein.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances to ensure quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
- With your explicit consent, we may collect data about how you use TrueNorth products and services in order to help TrueNorth software engineers improve their offering.
- We may collect information you provide directly to TrueNorth directly, including but not limited to usernames, email addresses, billing information, location services, reviews, survey responses,
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Ads that are delivered by TrueNorth’s advertising platforms may appear in your internet searches. If you do not wish to receive ads targeted to your interests from TrueNorth, you can choose to eliminate these targeted ads. You may still see ads on TrueNorth website and social channels. In third-party apps, you may see ads based on other information.
If you want to disable cookies and you’re using the Safari web browser, go to Safari preferences and then to the privacy pane to manage your preferences. On your mobile device, go to Settings, then Safari, scroll down to the Privacy & Security section, and tap on “Block Cookies” to manage your preferences. For other browsers, check with your provider to find out how to disable cookies. Please note that certain features of the TrueNorth website will not be available once cookies are disabled.
As is true of most internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit websites, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our product and services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. TrueNorth may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the TrueNorth website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click text or graphic links in the email messages. Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read, and they tell us whether mail has been opened. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to Third Parties
At times TrueNorth may provide third parties with certain personal information to provide or improve our products and services. When we do, we require those third parties to handle it in accordance with relevant laws. TrueNorth does not sell personal information, and personal information will never be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
When you send TrueNorth an email, we will use your email address to comment or reply, and we will store your communication and reply for any future correspondence. Beyond our initial reply, we will never use your email address to send you any unsolicited message or information, nor will we share it with or sell it to anyone else for such use.
TrueNorth shares personal information with companies who provide services such as information processing, extending credit, fulfilling customer orders, delivering products to you, managing and enhancing customer data, providing customer service, assessing your interest in our products and services, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever TrueNorth operates.
It may be necessary − by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for TrueNorth to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose information about you, but only where there is a lawful basis for doing so, if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. This could include providing information to public or governmental authorities. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
When you use some TrueNorth content channels, like blog or social, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
The Existence of Automated Decision-Making, Including Profiling
TrueNorth does not make any decisions involving the use of algorithms or profiling that significantly affect you.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Your Privacy Rights
For personal information we hold, we will provide you with access (including a copy) for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if TrueNorth is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes.
We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. We may also decline aspects of deletion or access requests if we believe doing so would undermine our legitimate use of data for anti-fraud and security purposes as described earlier. TrueNorth may charge you a reasonable fee based on the administrative costs resulting from preparing this information.
The California Consumer Privacy Act provides California consumers with the right to obtain from TrueNorth information about the personal information about you that we collect, use, and disclose. You can exercise your rights by providing relevant details by calling TrueNorth.
If you choose to exercise your privacy rights, you have the right to not to receive discriminatory treatment or a lesser degree of service from TrueNorth.
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. TrueNorth does not sell your personal information.
Children Under the Age of 13
The TrueNorth website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. TrueNorth does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not provide any information on this website.
To provide location-based services on TrueNorth customized products, TrueNorth and our partners and licensees, such as maps data providers, may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your computer or device. Where available, location-based services may use GPS, Bluetooth, and your IP Address, along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your devices’ approximate location. Unless you provide consent, this location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by TrueNorth and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services.
ThirdParty Sites and Services
TrueNorth websites, products, and services may contain links to third-party websites, products, and services. Our products and services may also use or offer products or services from third.
Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
In the future, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, we may include your information among the transferred assets.
Our Companywide Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to TrueNorth employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
You may at any time refer your complaint to the relevant regulator in your jurisdiction if you are unsatisfied with a reply received from us.
Where your complaint indicates an improvement could be made in our handling of privacy issues we will take steps to make such an update at the next reasonable opportunity. In the event that a privacy issue has resulted in a negative impact on you or another person we will take steps to address that with you or that other person.
TrueNorth. 8 Cadiz Circle, Redwood City, California, USA, 94065.